BLUEBERRY CRUMB-CAP MUFFINS
Blueberries are in season, so make a batch of these perfectly delicious muffins today...
- 4 TB (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups (10 ounces) AP flour
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (10 oz) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed
- Crumb Cap Topping (See step 12 below)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350. Adjust rack to middle position. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl to combine.
- Whisk egg in a second medium bowl until well-combined and light in color (approx. 20 seconds).
- Add sugar and whisk until thick and color lightens to a pale yellow.
- Add melted butter in 2 or 3 additions, whisking to combine after each addition.
- Add the sour cream in 2 additions, whisking just to combine.
- Add the berries to the dry ingredients. Gently toss to coat berries.
- Add the wet mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until the batter comes together and berries are evenly distributed (just about 25-30 seconds). Small spots of flour may remain and batter will be thick, but do not overmix or break the berries.
- Using an ice-cream scoop sprayed with non-stick spray, distribute batter in to paper liners. Scoops can be slightly heaping.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While muffins are baking, prepare crumb cap by combining 1 stick (8 TB) melted butter, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup (2 2/3 oz.) dark brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Add 1 3/4 cups (7 oz.) cake flour and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until mixture resembles a thick cohesive dough.
- After 10 minutes of baking, muffins should be nicely domed. Remove from oven. Working with your hands, take approx. 2 TB crumb dough and place on top of each muffin . Do not press or compact. Caps should look like a rough patty.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. When slightly cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.