Recipe ~ Mallow-Krisp Baked Mini Donuts
Doughnut or Donut?
No matter how you spell it, people love them.
Consider this: There are more than 10 billion doughnuts made in the U.S. each year!
(source: Huffington Post)
As a kid, my favorites were the powdered mini donut and anything with sprinkles. In my adulthood, I've discovered the joys of a perfect maple bar or French Cruller. But the distinction of favorite doughnut belongs to the "'Mello Submarine" from Psycho Donuts. It's an old fashioned donut with marshmallow fluff and krispie rice cereal on top. They're the delicious lovechild of a doughnut and a Rice Krispie Treat. They're super light, not too sweet and really do Snap! Crackle! and Pop! when you make them.
The 'Mello Submarine was my inspiration for a DIY mini donut recipe as my contribution to a donut blog hop with 9 other bloggers and organized by Vanessa of Our Thrifty Ideas. Is your mouth watering yet?
My creation consists of a baked buttermilk doughnut topped with homemade marshmallow fluff and rice cereal. The Rice Krispie Treat flavor gets a boost from a buttery marshmallow drizzle made out of the leftover fluff. Since they're baked, not fried, and topped with marshmallow rather than frosting, they're much lower in fat and calories than regular doughnuts, but they're still big on taste.
Mallow-Krisp Baked Mini Donuts
(a.k.a. "Catcher in the Rice")
makes 2 dozen mini doughnuts
For the doughnut batter:
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
For the marshmallow fluff (you can use store-bought as a shortcut)
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup (not HFC)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups Rice Krispies® cereal
1 Tablespoon salted butter
Nonstick cooking spray
Mini Doughnut Pan
Candy thermometer (optional, if you're making the fluff from scratch)
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Spray mini doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, eggs and melted butter just until combined.
- Fill each pan cavity approximately 1/2 full. Tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles and level out the batter.
- Bake the doughnuts for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the tops of the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let the doughnuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely while you make the marshmallow fluff.
- Begin the marshmallow creme by whipping the room-temperature egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer until stiff. Set aside.In a 1-Qt (4-cup) glass measuring cup, stir together corn syrup and sugar.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir gently with a wood or silicone spoon.
- Microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Microwave for an additional 1 1/2 minutes (You're aiming for 240 on a candy thermometer).
- Using a batter attachment (rather than a whisk), beat egg whites on medium speed. VERY slowly drizzle in the hot syrup. Scrape down the sides, then continue beating for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thick, white and fluffy. Transfer to a small, microwave safe bowl.
- Pour rice cereal into a small bowl with a mouth wider than the size of a mini doughnut.
- Use a knife or small offset spatula to spread fluff over the entire top of a doughnut. Dip fluff side into the rice cereal and gently press to adhere. Set aside on a parchment lined tray and repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the remaining fluff and slowly heat (on low power) in the microwave till warm. Whisk till smooth. Transfer to a pastry bag or ziploc bag. Snip a small hole in the tip. Drizzle marshmallow glaze over each donut. Enjoy!
What is your favorite kind of doughnut?
Make sure to check out and pin the other 9 fabulous donut recipes participating in the hop today. Just click on the picture or title below to grab the recipe.
Rook No 17 - Mallow Krisp donuts Our Thrifty Ideas - Cinnamon Roll donuts Dessert Now Dinner Later - Boston Cream donuts Housewife Eclectic - Powdered donuts Rae Gun Ramblings - Dairy Free donuts Tastes Better from Scratch - Sour Cream Old Fashioned donuts Snap Creativity - Pina Colada donuts Messes to Memories - Chocolate Caramel Cake donuts One Sweet Appetite - Maple Bacon donuts Over The Big Moon - Sweet Waffle donuts